Saturday, January 12, 2008

oh i should've been and english teacher

So I was just thinking of rhetoric the other day and how important it is. I suppose history teaches this, and fools disagree with it. Any of us who have taken a history class, especially those of the diversity sort (African American, Womens, ect.) know that a change in "rhetoric" towards a people group or ideal, usually ushers in change or is ushered in by change. In any case it is linked to change. For examples, just think of any phrase which is "politically correct" and think of how it is somehow linked to a political or societial change. (although as a disclaimer, i hate that now adays things have to be so politically correct they seem sterile, or lose character.)

But with this in mind I was thinking of how important rhetoric must be in terms of the Churh. And I was probably a little sad after speaking with my highschool sunday school class about church, realizing that most of them think its just a sunday morning duty they have to complete before checking it off there list. I was wishing that there were more people around me that thought "wow, its sunday, i get to go to church," rather than, "it's sunday, i have to go to church." Don't get me wrong I do know some people that feel that way, but they (myself included) usually use the latter phrase. So i'm proposing that if you feel like that you should use the former phrase, "I get to go to church." I don't know maybe i'm just crazy or wrong but i feel like with this change in rhetoric, it may at least get others thinking and bring back some excitement to sharing in corporate worship and fellowship on sundays.

Also, reading Shane Claiborne's "Irresistable Revolution." Its amazing!

No comments: