Thursday, November 8, 2007

Beauty

so i was just listening to that old worship song "Creation Calls" which i totally love. i remember my friend Amanda saying she didn't like, she says its a song for artists. Which ok maybe makes sense that i like it.

But really I love seasons... the change. The beauty of the everyday. The sun makes me smile. The crisp air. color. dark nights. light nights. The leaves changing. snow. the rebirth of spring. the depth of autumn. the fling of summer. Maggie tells me i'm hysterical, i eat seasonally, i listen to music seasonally, i dress seasonally. and each one excites me. I love it!

I just think that song captures it so well, "How can we say there is no God when all around creation calls..." I feel that way.

AND as it is the season of Thanksgiving i am going to start listing things that i am thankful for on my blog. Even the little things. So heres just a start:

-family!
-phone calls or e-mails from far off friends.
-grace
-colors! (and my love for their different shades, tints, and hues)
-leeann a friend who equally loves the small things as much as i do such as a perfect cup of hot apple cider
-the amazing experiences and adventures God has put in my life
-God's making us creatures of creativity whether it is lived out through loving to dress up, make music, study math or bake! We are all creative!
-that God made us creatures that are able to dance ( theres nothing better than dancing around the kitchen with a good friend and some fun music)
-provision
-saturdays
-my favorite mug
-people who make me laugh
-candle light on the ceiling
-nature especially the stars
- did i mention dancing
-good hugs(and willie for showing me the difference counts)

2 comments:

steven hamilton said...

casey, do you know the writings of Hans Urs von Balthasar? He argues that the encounter with beauty in the world is analogous to the encounter with the Triune God. i like some of what von balthasar says about beauty taking courage here:

'We no longer dare to believe in beauty and we make of it a mere appearance in order the more easily to dispose of it. Our situation today shows that beauty demands for itself at least as much courage and decision as do truth and goodness, and she will not allow herself to be separated and banned from her two sisters without taking them along with herself in an act of mysterious vengeance. We can be sure that whoever sneers at her name as if she were the ornament of a bourgeois past -- whether he admits it or not -- can no longer pray and soon will no longer be able to love.'

From The Glory of the Lord: A Theological Aesthetics. Volume I: Seeing the Form. (Ignatius/ Crossroad) p. 18

he also wrote a popular book "Love Alone Is Credible" relating Beauty and Love to God...

peace

strawberry lips and candy kicks said...

wow. i've never read any of his works but that is a pretty powerful quote which i completely agree with. hmm i'll have to look into him. thanks!